Professor Jacek Mercik became the Editor-in-Chief of the “Operations Research and Decisions” (OR&D) journal in 2010. From the very beginning, his resolution to change the language of publication from Polish to English gave the possibility of reaching a wide, international audience. The growth in range and significance of the quarterly during his eight years of leadership is indicated by the following important elements:
- the introduction of the journal’s “Online Manuscript Submission, Review and Tracking System”
- OR&D becoming listed on Web of Science data bases: Thomson Reuters - Emerging Sources Citation Index and Thomson Reuters - The Master Journal List;
- OR&D becoming an open access journal and obtaining membership of DOAJ;
- the creation of an international Associate Editors Council with over 50% of its members coming from outside Poland;
- setting up a system of double blind reviews with over 60% of reviewers having foreign affiliation in recent years and 80-90% of reviewers coming from outside the journal’s Editorial Board and the Faculty of Computer Science and Management, Wroclaw University of Science and Technology;
- meeting the high standards and ethical rules on editing and publishing according to Creative Commons Licence (CC BY-NC-ND);
Professor Mercik’s visible research profile, organizational expertise, wide professional experience and wide-ranging cooperation with international researchers assured a prominent position for our quarterly in the scientific community of management science.
We express our sincere thanks to Professor Mercik for his many years of successful work and leadership and wish him all the best in his future endeavours.